Saturday, May 09, 2009

Back on the rock

After failing to do any climbing at all in April due to travel and inclement weather, I've done a bit last weekend and yesterday. The weather has been pretty nice, making me feel obliged to get out, even if my rock climbing is pretty hopeless after a winter of just ice climbing, and no indoor training at all.

Mia works "High Voltage" fb6b+, Vessölandet

Diana on "Snake", fb4+, Vessölandet


Toni cruises up "Lord Flashheart" F5+, Blackadder Wall (click link for topo), Jaanankallio

Hopefully you should be able to watch the above video in glorius "Hi-Def" courtesy of my new camera. I apologies for actual clip being rubbish, but I was trying to belay Toni at the same time.

Tony projecting Vompatti, F6c, Jaanankallio.

Tony very nearly got this one on his first redpoint attempt (and only third go overall), but annoyingly his foot slipped off the crux. I nearly got it in a oner on a top rope, but will need to work out the crux better before I even think of trying to lead it.

Your correspondent on "Rev it up", VS 4c, Jaanankallio.

In fact the weather has been so nice it is causing me problems. I recently got some Marmot and Montane clothing to review from UKclimbing, and they managed to send me stuff just as the last shreds of winter melted away. It is hard to review a waterproof jacket when it refuses to rain on you! But, I'm sure the Finnish summer can be relied on to resume more normal service soon, and the jacket will get plenty of use. In the pic above I'm wearing the Montane Terra pants (they are trousers of course - I shall not air my pants, literally or metaphorically, in public - but it seems everyone uses the Americanism in the outdoor trade these days), which seem pretty good so far, although could do with another pocket or two on them.

Sunshine at 9 pm. Walking back from Jaanankallio.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Nice pic, thanks for including me! Just wish you could leave out my steadily lowering grades...sigh...=)